Saturday 7 September 2013

ol' bird... new tricks

It's been a busy summer. Not because of work (we shan't be talking about that)... but because of music, food, friends, mountains, food, music festivals, food festivals, friends and... wait for it... yarny goodness. This summer was spent at home. No travelling over The Pond... just travelling in my home province... aka Home for Holidays! Definitely the right thing to do this summer.

You see, along with the music and friends and food, reorganizing the guest room was in order. Now it's a very comfortable yarn room with a sofa bed for guests! Sleep over with Great-nephew #2 included a day at Fort Edmonton Park... go ahead, ask me how exhausted I was after. Parents required extra attention... nothing too serious but distressing non the less. This acted as a reminder that we are all aging and to not waste time.

And I learned how to crochet... for purely selfish reasons. I developed tendonitis on my right thumb... my dominant hand. Self imposed no knitting for three weeks drove me crazy but could I crochet? Why, yes I could. Different techniques that didn't aggravate the thumb and I was sold. You know, I knit so no one dies... but doing nothing was killing me. So crocheting began and tis the perfect skill for blankets and toys and minion hats!

And now summer is ending and there is a crispness in the air that I love. Autumn brings sweaters and shawls and perfectly fitted socks. This fall takes me back to a classroom that will require exams and papers... ACK! Now I have to be accountable for my learnings. I guess, if I can learn new yarny skills, I should be able to handle going back to university, right? An ol' bird can learn new tricks, right?
A little nervous but I decided to help me relax and get in the learning zone, I registered for a Knitty Retreat.... Stix and the City... that starts in less than a week!!! Ok, so any excuse would do but I'm rather excited. Learning new skills and techniques with guest instructor, Sivia Harding along side new and old friends!? What's not to be excited about. Food and wine and wool and laughter all with never having to leave the hotel! So, yarn has been chosen for the classes. Now to find new pj's for those inevitable pillow fights!

No comments:

Post a Comment