Monday 2 March 2015

madness... sock madness

I'm kinda wishing my leave was this month... it's sock madness time! For the uninitiated, this is a wee sock speed knitting competition and frankly, work is getting in the way of play. Well, that happens all the time but never more so than madness time. I also find it rather ironic that this is happening after I return to work from my stress leave... my own personal madness time.

While I will never beat the fastest knitters... within 24 hours a pair was already completed and I barely have the cuffs done... I do enjoy the challenge of improving my skills. This is something I have control over... my skills, my time, my choice. I understand that's part of my anxiety issues... control. Nothing like challenging that with a little mad competition. The challenge is that I have no control over the patterns for the competition. I must knit the pattern as per specs within a designated time frame... no creative adjustments, no deviations, no changes what so ever.

More often than not, it all turns out fine... just trust the pattern. Kinda like life... there are things we have no control over but just have to trust. It is hard when the trust has been abused in the past but bit by bit, trusting again becomes a little easier. Kinda like the knitting... bit by bit, project after project, the skills become more refined and the end product worthy of praise.

Now… to get me arse in gear and knit during breaks, lunch, meetings… ok, I might be pushing it during the meetings. The boss frowns on that… if he only knew that’s what keeping me from hurting him!!!


1 comment:

  1. Oh, how I wish I could have the whole month of March off from work so I could knit on my SM socks...I usually only make it to the 3rd or 4th round so that would actually put me into April...but we must do what we can do to make it all happen. I like that you pointed out that it's a choice...how we spend our time and our resources...take it easy on yourself, dear heart!

    ReplyDelete